What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
Almost all of us know the importance of regular dental checkups, but we still often ignore it. Although we follow a consistent oral cleaning regime including teeth brushing and flossing, it may not be enough to maintain optimal oral health.
Oral health plays a crucial role in your overall health and wellness. Therefore, it is imperative that you regularly visit your dentist in Livonia, MI, for professional and thorough oral cleaning. Many of you might dread the dental cleaning process, but it’s not as dreadful and uncomfortable as you may think.
Laurich Dentistry offers professional, comfortable, hygienic and nearly painless dental cleaning for your oral health.
To give you a clear idea of the dental cleaning process, here is an overview of the steps involved in dental cleaning. If you know what’s covered in the procedure, you are more likely to visit your dentist stress-free.
- Physical checkup: When you arrive at your Livonia dentist, the initial step is a thorough oral examination. Your dentist uses a dental mirror to conduct a physical checkup of your mouth cavity. Your teeth and gums are thoroughly checked for any inflammation, gum disease, cavities, and any other potential signs. If any problem is detected, your dentist will recommend a suitable solution.
- Removal of plaque and tartar: While using a small mirror inside of your mouth for guidance, your dentist will remove any plaque and tartar stuck between your teeth and along the gum line. The more plaque and tartar you have in your mouth, the more time it takes to scrape it away. You may hear scraping sound during the procedure, but it is normal.
- Expert Cleaning with Toothpaste: After completely removing tartar, your dentist will use a high-powered toothbrush. This brush usually makes a grinding sound which may sound scary. The toothpaste used for cleaning has a grainy consistency, which helps scrub your teeth. This professional cleaning is safe for your teeth enamel when performed by professionals, like Livonia dentist.
- Professional Flossing: After brushing the next step is flossing, and nothing can be better than professional dental flossing. Our expert, Dr. Dennis Laurich, reaches between the tight spaces of your teeth while flossing and identifies any troublesome spots where your gums might bleed. It also helps remove any plaque or toothpaste left behind during the brushing process.
- Mouth Rinsing: The next step is thorough rinsing of your mouth to eliminate any leftover debris. Your dentists usually provide you with a fluoride liquid for rinsing.
- Application of Fluoride Treatment: This is the last step in your professional dental cleaning at Laurich Dentistry. The professional fluoride treatment protects your teeth and helps them fight against potential cavities. Your dentist may ask you for your preferred flavor. A creamy gel is placed inside a mouthpiece which is fitted on your teeth for a minute or so. Additionally, fluoride varnish is applied to your teeth with a brush. It forms a thin protective covering when saliva touches it. This allows you to have food or drinks instantly following the treatment.